Dunnington Bartholow & Miller LLP is pleased to announce Samuel A. Blaustein has become a Partner of the Firm—January 2017.
Samuel A. Blaustein is a member of DBM’s litigation, arbitration and mediation and intellectual property and art law practice areas. Prior to joining DBM, Mr. Blaustein served as a law clerk in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York where he assisted the Hon. Laura Taylor Swain.
Mr. Blaustein represents businesses and individuals in disputes of all type emphasizing a lean and pragmatic approach. He handles matters from inception through judgment and appeal. He is often called upon to conduct pre-litigation investigation. He values alternate dispute resolution, particularly mediation, as an effective way to gain results and minimize litigation. He has extensive experience in preparing and using experts and consultants.
Mr. Blaustein is admitted to practice in New York State, the U.S. District Courts and Bankruptcy Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second and Federal Circuits. He is a member of the Federal Bar Association and the New York County Lawyers Association.
He attended Brandeis University and Brooklyn Law School.
Mr. Blaustein’s email address is email@example.com.
Dunnington, Bartholow & Miller LLP, provides legal advice par excellence across a number of practice areas. Below is a sampling of the types of services we offer our clients:
Our corporate partners provide legal advice to support every aspect of your business. Our partners’ collective experience as both inside counsel and outside counsel for large, multinational companies enables us to execute effectively as an extension of our clients’ legal departments. Our corporate group handles, among other matters, the following:
- Corporate finance, corporate structuring and counseling to both public and private companies and startups;
- U.S. and international mergers and acquisitions;
- Loan workouts, debt restructuring and bankruptcy matters;
- Cross-border and international transactions;
- Executive compensation issues;
- Regulatory compliance and corporate governance issues; and
- Government relations.
Our litigation partners handle complex litigation, arbitration and mediation matters for our clients in a wide-range of subject and industry areas. Our litigation practice includes matters in:
- Corporate and commercial for large-cap public corporations and closely-held corporations;
- Intellectual property, including copyright, trademark and unfair competition;
- Real estate;
- White-collar defense;
- Trust & estates; and
- Business dissolutions.
Our litigators have successfully represented our domestic and international clients in state and federal trial and appellate courts throughout the United States, and, in addition to filing or defending cases and collecting judgments, we are often called upon for our local knowledge of New York courts.
Intellectual Property and Art Law
Our intellectual property and art law group represents companies, individuals, estates, artists, collectors and dealers in, among other matters:
- Intellectual property protection counseling, litigation, arbitration and mediation;
- Intellectual property contract drafting and negotiation;
- Transfers and sales of intellectual property;
- Trademark and copyright negotiation and related counseling;
- Domain name acquisition, transfer and disputes;
- Trade secret protection, corporate practices to preserve databases, client lists and preserve privacy;
- Product development, advertising and marketing counsel;
- Licenses, distribution agreements and franchises;
- Fine art: counsel on ownership, collecting, display, sales, consignments and structured donations of artworks;
- Rights of publicity, defamation, content creation and distribution;
- Advertising, architecture, art, broadcasting film, internet, media, music, literature, photography, satellite transmissions, software, sculpture and design and video;
- Data and technology law; and
- Practice before U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeals Board, including contested trademark registration, opposition and cancellation proceedings.
The International Practice Area consists of attorneys who support business and personal clients with respect to the legal needs of domestic clients outside the U.S. and of foreign clients in the U.S. The Firm’s wealth of experience as well as its membership in the Cicero League of International Lawyers and the various languages spoken within the Firm facilitate its providing these services.
We advise U.S. clients expanding overseas on:
- Acquisition or sale of international businesses;
- International litigation, arbitration, and the enforcement of rights;
- Protecting, enforcing, and exploiting U.S.-registered intellectual property; and
- International investigations.
We advise international clients with respect to U.S. matters on:
- Establishing a presence in the U.S.;
- Acquisition or sale of business interests in the U.S.;
- Tax planning for both business and personal clients;
- Exploiting intellectual property in the U.S.;
- Terms and conditions of business;
- Compliance with U.S. law;
- Sale and acquisition of real property;
- Enforcement of foreign judgments in the U.S.; and
- Oversight of litigation-related or regulatory investigations.
Our real estate practice area concentrates on services to real estate owners, investors, landlords, commercial tenants, managers, joint venture partners and related parties. Practice matters include:
- Commercial leasing;
- Fee acquisitions and development;
- International commercial and residential transactions;
- Formation and structuring of holding companies;
- Counseling and due diligence on varied and diverse real estate transactions;
- Like-kind exchanges;
- Representation of brokerage and management companies;
- Hotel management and leasing agreements; and
- Representation of cooperative and condominium boards.
Tax and Trusts & Estates
Our tax and T&E partners have decades of experience representing corporations and individual clients. We assist our private clients with individual tax, estate planning, probate and estate administration matters. We represent both our corporate and private clients in proceedings before the Internal Revenue Service, the U.S. Tax Court and many other government agencies. Our Tax and Trust & Estate Group also includes matters in:
- Preparation of estate planning and related documents, including wills, trust agreements, living wills and health care proxies, and documents relating to charitable trusts and foundations;
- Probate and related matters;
- All aspects of estate and trust administration;
- Individual income, gift and estate tax planning, both domestic and international;
- Retirement plans including 401(k) plans, IRA’s, 403(b) plans, and SEP’s;
- Income, gift and estate tax audit examinations;
- Representation before the Internal Revenue Service and the courts;
- Corporate tax “C” and “S” corporations;
- Mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations;
- Dissolution and disposition of businesses;
- Executive compensation;
- Real taxation and like-kind exchanges;
- Family limited partnerships; and
- Trusts including irrevocable life insurance trusts, charitable remainder and lead trusts, and qualified personal residence trusts.
Our immigration practice area concentrates on providing legal assistance to companies and individual clients in matters involving business immigration, family immigration, citizenship, removal defense, asylum, and federal court litigation. Our immigration partners handle:
- Assistance with applications for permanent residency, “Green Card”, to the United States;
- Naturalization matters;
- Visas for investors and entrepreneurs;
- Visas for intracompany transferees;
- Visas for the temporary employment of foreign workers in specialty occupations in the United States;
- Visas for individuals who possess extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics, or who have demonstrated a record of extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry;
- Training, Internship, and Cultural and Educational exchange visas;
- Visas for health care professionals;
- Visa assistance to international students and scholars.
Charitable, Not-For-Profit, and Religious Institution
The Charitable, Not-For-Profit, And Religious Institutions Practice Group represents these institutions by:
- Assisting individuals and corporations in fulfilling their charitable goals;
- Establishing public charities, private foundations and other not-for-profit organizations;
- Recommending charitable vehicles;
- Registering professional fund raisers;
- Preparing Federal and State annual returns and reports; and
- Representing charitable organizations and their boards or trustees.
Long-term relationships characterize Dunnington’s client base, whether the client is a banking institution, a multi-national corporation or the fourth generation of an original individual client. Our goal is to provide sound, comprehensive services at a competitive cost that achieve practical results and constructive benefits for you in both the near- and the long-term.